Cleaning Anfim Super Lusso

Cleaning Anfim Super Lusso

Find and bookmark our home page at http://www.coffeetimeuk.com/

Also see:

This is my first WiKi (encouraged by DaveC) so please, forgive me for the lack of components that are intrinsic for that type of summaries.

I would like to share with you my experience with my recently acquired Anfim Super Lusso. Those grinders have been getting momentum lately due to their precise dispersing and consistent grinding. More can be found at http://www.anfim.net.

box1.JPG
  • Hardened Steel Grinders Ø 75 mm
  • Engine power HP 0,60 - 800 Revs/min
  • Coffee-bean hopper capacity ± kg. 2
  • Dimensions 195 x 370 x 570H
  • Net weight kg. 17
  • Volt.: 110 / 220 / 230 / 240 / 380-3 phases
  • Starter: Timer - Automatic
  • On request: Inox stainless steel body

I found this on e-bay purely by chance. It was not announced as Anfim grinder. The guy who was selling it did not have any idea about the brand. I decided to go for it after a forum member told me that it was the Anfim Supper Lusso sporting 75 mm burrs and 450 W motor. It could look as OTT for home use but its footprint is not bigger than my previous Cunill Space and yet it is better equipped. Another attractive option (not for me though due to its usage at home) is the opportunity to replace the burrs with Titanium burrs that are the same as the ones they put in the Super Caimano (I have checked this with the Anfim representative in the UK).

Fortunately the machine did not meet the reserved price in the first round of bidding as I was desperately trying to bid from a McDonalds location but my laptop let me down. I met the seller privately and we shook hands over a very reasonable price for a fully working machine.

Impatient to get my hands (literally) dirty I took it home on Friday and in the evening I started the disassembly. A good exploded diagram can be found at http://www.spareparts.co.uk and it is very important to take pictures as you go along.

When I got it it was a very sticky piece of metal (a heavy one too). It was obvious that cleaning had not been high on the priority list of the former owner. This of course did not put me off, on the opposite, it gave me the motivation to clean and domesticate the beast hidden under the bonnet.

Figure2.jpg

Picture 2.
It is a bit difficult to look into it (Picture 2), but the space between the burrs was full of sticky coffee left to sit there for ages. The first thing to do was unscrewing and removing the hopper that in that case is rather big. One has to be careful as some of the screw beds are made of plastics and too much pressure could easily break those. Due to cabinet restrictions in the kitchen I did not intend to use the hopper anymore but still I washed all parts with warm water in a soapy solution until everything was squeaky clean.

The next stop was the collar and the burrs. I had to release the collar by pulling the metal pin on the left panel (see Picture 3, some forum members have reported removing this part and turning the grinder into a steeples version). Once that was done it took me quite some time to unscrew the upper burr due to the finesse of the thread (I still do not know the real thread size). With the burr in my hands I was straight to the kitchen for a nice wash with soapy water followed by hair dryer in order to prevent any water being left and causing rust. When I tried to unscrew the bottom burr I faced some unexpected resistance which after a while I decided was not worth pushing. I cleaned the burr on the spot as good as I could (I agree that a wash would have been better but I did not want to take the chance of bending the anything at that stage) and re-assembled the upper burr back into place. When I checked the “zero” point turned out to be at 2 (I checked that by turning slowly the upper burr until I could not move it. The motor was off as I did not want to risk hitting the burrs teeth against each other. The bottom line is that I could have hit the real zero had I had the motor running. I will check this when I replace the burrs.

Figure3.jpg

The next stop was to clean the dosator. It had not seen a good clean for quite some time. I fully disassembled the dosator detaching it from the grinder body. It is kept via two screws which are accessible upon removing the black cover with the yellow sticker. I personally enjoyed the whole process as you know that you invest time and effort into something that is going to serve you for years to come.

I was pleased with the final result (see Picture 4 – Dosator and Pictures 5 and 6).

Figure4.jpg
Figure5.jpg
Figure6.jpg

I did not stop there as I wanted to replace the hopper with something more suitable for the small head space I had available. I approached a friend of mine with access to a lathe machine and in 15 minutes I had the right size that perfectly fit the hole. I elaborated some funnel that was the same size as the newly made adapter and everything was added to the grinder body (see Pictures 7, 8 and 9)

Figure7.jpg
Figure8.jpg
Figure9.jpg

I have been enjoying it for the last month.